Tuesday, November 16, 2010

To Catch A Thief-(they're a lot closer than you think)

"They are forgetting that they are really attacking the waiters, who don't have an enormous income."
This is a quote from Leonora Popa manager of London "eatery" ( I'm sorry I just really wanted to use that word) L'autre Pied. It appeared in an article in The Guardian on Monday.
Apparently a well dressed couple who dined in the fine establishment did a legger just as one of the aforementioned waiters served up their plum tart and millefeuille.Having eaten and drunk their way through a £570 Michelin -starred meal the Lupins (har har har) went on an extended fag break and never returned. The rascals! Albeit well dressed rascals.
As an honest individual I initially found it quite difficult to reconcile my amusement on hearing the story.This amusement was short lived as was my difficulty.It struck me as somewhat vulgar that 1) Popa claimed an average spend in L'autre Pied is in the region of £570 and 2) that Popa had the gall to claim that this was an attack on the waiting staff.I'm sorry Leonora but if a restaurant can see fit to charge customers an average of £570 ,I keep repeating this fact because I am still incredulous, then you absolutely can afford to pay your staff a decent wage.You absolutely can afford to pay them enough so that if another well dressed couple of Lupins decide to do a legger from a quite frankly bloody ridiculous bill of £570 it can in no way be defined as an attack on waiting staff.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/nov/15/restaurant-couple-unpaid-bill-lupin

No comments:

Post a Comment