Friday, July 16, 2010

Portion Control?


I've never done a photo essay before, or as the regular bloggers call them IPE. To be honest I was just too lazy . Today however I learned just how easy it is , and luckily not as time consuming or as taxing as I had thought.

Anyway, inspired my this IEP ( get me using the lingo) http://meandmybigmouth.typepad.com/scottpack/2010/07/guest-blogger-robert-hudson.html I embarked upon the creation of an homage to Robert Hudson's epic coleslaw essay.

It inspired me to do four things really
1.Buy a book of short stories called the Fish Garden ( see the name of Robert Hudson's blog)
2.Buy a good knife
3.Create a photo essay of my own
4. Make his Mum's coleslaw

I don't know either Robert or his Mum but what I do know is they make fine good coleslaw.

Inspiration number 1-the fish titled book


Please note the empty packet of liquorice tea. I use it as a bookmark. I found it (the book) in the local charity shop.I volunteer there a few days a week an activity I would highly recommend.

Inspiration number 2-buying a good knife

Now I doubt very much that this, my new knife is as good as the knife in the original .It cost €5.99 in the Co-op .It was all I could afford today .Anyway it did the job.

Inspiration number 3-the photo essay
This probably should be somewhere else in the sequence of events , actually it probably should be the number 1 inspiration but fuck it , I'm living it large and fucking with IPE structure .

Inspiration number 4-the coleslaw


The Cabbage


Chopping of the giant cabbage






This was the smallest cabbage I could find in Barry Collins' Super Valu, the local supermarket.I didn't weigh it but by the time I got home with it, my bag had left a bruise on my shoulder. I won't forget my easy-shopper trolley/bag thing again. Note the new knife next to it,still in it's packaging proving it's newness .

A variation-adding carrot

I noticed that the original coleslaw didn't have any so being a lover of raw carrot I added some .I cheated a big bit here in that I bought some ready cut carrot .


The onion - another cheat

About 7 years ago I bought a kitchen chopper.It's a bit like a salad spinner thing but with blades.The cabbage had taken a toll on my wrists so I used the easy chopper .I also used it for the eggs.




The Eggssss
This is the adding of the egg. In the original, 2 eggs were used however here I used 3 but then decided that 3 wasn't enough and so added another two later on.I'm an eggy sort.That coupled with the massive cabbage meant that the egg to cabbage ratio was off.Although why it never occurred to me to use only some of the cabbage I'll never know .




Next up-Pineapple

If I'm being honest I put the pineapple into the easy chopper too. You can see the brand new but redundant knife just behind the tin.

At this point I added all of the ingredients together and began to stir in the mayonnaise .The quantity was vast and so I had to use an overflow dish and make two separate mixtures .I wanted to make sure they were thoroughly mushed up. It was during this time that I realised the shagging cheese was sitting there unused.


The (shagging) Cheese
I used a red cheddar


THE COLESLAW



I have to say it is a very tasty salad .However, I'd advise against serving it at a party where you might hope to attract a "mate". Eating it can leave you quite farty and bloated not to mention oniony of breath.































































2 comments:

  1. Morning. I am inspired to have inspired this. I have one comment, though, as a top chef: this coleslaw should include no onion. I appreciate that I posted a misleading picture on my IPE, and take responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about the onion but decided to risk it.It left me and the kitchen in a stinky state. But at least I didn't add raisins.That would have been sick.

    ReplyDelete